"The artist is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of the tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.

Thursday 16 April 2020

2nd State Proof

After working the plate for a couple of weeks after taking the first proof I'm now ready to take a second. So I was up early this morning and got the inks out. Having only limited space in my studio I'm not able to have dedicated clean and inky areas so I have to be more careful with keeping things apart. My usual work bench serves also as my inking and wiping table. My hot plate sits on a portable table and my waterbath sits beside my press table.






Inked Plate ready for wiping


The wiped plate on the bed of the press


 State II - Impression I

Much more progress now from the first proof I took (see the previous post). As I suggested I wasn't happy with the drawing of the ferns on the right hand side so I re-rocked this part of the plate and redrew them. They still need some more work to highlight the areas catching the dappled sunlight but I am now more pleased with the way that they are looking. The mid-tones on the bridge and area above the waterfalls I am ok with. The main areas for further work are now just on the water. The white water of the falls needs to be burnished much more so that they print as white rather than the dirty grey that they appear. I'm also not sure what to do with the sky - leave it as it is or burnish it paler. Time to put it aside, go out and mow the lawn and then come back to it later with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment