"The artist is also a born adventurer. His explorations, unlike those of the tourist, are rewarded by the discovery of beauty spots unmentioned in the guide books, and with tireless curiosity and an exceptional proneness to wonderment, he will come upon objects of remarkable interest overlooked or even shunned by more disciplined observers."

Augustus John, R.A.

Saturday 29 January 2022

First Steps

 

When I did this sketch of Llyn Ogwen whilst on holiday a few years ago.. I had it in the back of my mind that it would make a good linocut. Over the years since I've looked at it but never been able to come up with  a way to satisfactorily work it out as a block print. I came to the conclusion that atmospherically it needed to be a mezzotint but again was unsure of how to go about it. Enlightenment arrived in the form of a book on the work of the Welsh artist Kyffin Williams, which I received as a Christmas present. Looking at the work in the book, especially the ink and wash sketches gave me the inspiration for a starting point. So looking again at my initial watercolour field study I made this monochrome wash drawing.

Now I had a tonal painting that I could use as the basis for my mezzotint. 

I scanned the image, reversed it and printed it out, using this to transfer it to the 200mm x 300mm copper plate.



and began the engraving.

No comments:

Post a Comment